Re: Midget wheel rub

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: Midget wheel rub
From: brooked@bre.co.uk
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 1995 14:38:25 EDT
Hi Andy,
        Your busy today aren't you.

        The first thing to check is that your wheels are on their splines
properly and
that they don't move around, your should also make sure your wheels' spokes are
tight. After that check the bushes on the rear spring shackles, if they are
worn try nylatron replacements ( 4 off ) at the body end of the shackles only -
this will improve the side to side location without compromising ride comfort.
Unfortunately if the bushes aren't worn then you will need to think about new
springs, the shockers should not contribute to the lateral stiffness of the
rear end since side loads will wear them out quicker.

        One question thats just occured to me is are you using a wire wheel
axle, not
just halfshafts and is it any different from a steel wheel axle in width. On
MGB's the two types of axle are diferent widths prehaps the Midget is the same?
I don't know!

        I do know that when I used 165/70 tyres on 5" rims on my Midget on a
race
track they only just touched!

Good luck,

Dave B