Re: Midget wheel rub

To: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Midget wheel rub
From: Dave Morris <dmorris@sol.cosmos.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 16:34:00 -0600 (MDT)
> When cornering the rear wheels rub on the arches.  This has the "unwanted"
> effect of scrubbing a line around the tyres at the back end and making all
> kinds of horrid noises on cornering.
>
> It does this when cornering _sharply_ even when not loaded at the back with
> camping gear etc.

Has there ever been any bodywork done on the rear fenders to repair collision
damage or rust?  If so, is the inside of the wheel wells the same size as on
an original car?  I had a similar problem after restoring my '72 MGB, and it
was caused by a tiny bit of excess metal around the rear wheel well.  A quick
touch up with an angle grinder took care of the problem.

> Here's details of the car :
>
> 1977 Midget 1500 with wire wheels.  The rear wheels fit onto splines attatched
> to proper wire wheel half shafts.  It's worse in one direction than the other
> as the axle doesn't appear to be completely central.

Are the tires you are using the correct size for your Midget?  If the axle does
not appear to be centered properly, you should check the body alignment,
especially around the rear spring hangers.  It is possible that the rear spring
hangers were replaced at some point while repairing rust or collision damage.

Hope this helps,

Dave Morris