Re: Midget Wheel Rub

To: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Midget Wheel Rub
From: hanz@sybase.com (Hans Huber)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 95 12:23:05 PDT
on wednesday, the second of august, andy smith wrote:

> Is there any difference between a rear axle for a steel wheeled midget and
> a wire wheeled one.  Yes I KNOW there is for an MGB!
>
> I don't think there is, I checked my parts lists, and the wire wheel half
> shafts fit fine OK, so I guess I have a wire wheel axle (or a generic axle
> if there is indeed no difference)..
>
> If anyone can shed some definitive light on this question, let me know.

we covered this a couple months ago, and here is what i remember.
'course, my brain is like a sieve:

yes, there is a difference.  the wire wheel axle housing
is a little (~1"?) narrower.  the wire wheel halfshafts
will fit into a disc wheel axle housing, but will not mate
fully into the differential splines. also, the track will
be slightly wider.  this seems to be very poorly documented.

i don't remember where your tires are rubbing, but if they are
rubbing on the outside, this could explain it.

p.s.  ray: still can't find my copy of Porter's book.  you're
right about _Original_ (says no black bugeyes).  but, of course,
you knew that :-).

hanz    (san francisco, '58 frog)