mgb chassis numbers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: mgb chassis numbers
From: omaha@iinet.com.au (Richard McLain)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 03:36:30 +0800
Here in Australia, I am looking to purchase a rubber- bumpered roadster as
a practical everyday car and restoration project.

I am currently looking at a Flamenco-coloured MGB which has been recently
imported from the USA. It is a LHD roadster; a '78 model I am told.  While
from a distance it looks ok and the body appears to be straight, up close
certain parts like the bonnet, front bumper, and boot lid are askew.

Riveted on the dash is what appears to be a Chassis number --
G-HN5UJ458091G while on the left-hand wing balance is another number,
GU2ST868542P.

The difference in these numbers brings to mind some questions:
1.  Am I really looking at a collection of imported parts rather than a
single car?
2.  Is there anyway of telling what the original colour of the car was from
either of these two numbers?
3.  How does a purchaser of such an intercontinental car guarantee that the
auto hasn't been stolen, boxed, and transported overseas for disposal?

Hope these questions aren't too naive.

Cheers,

Richard