Re: mgb chassis numbers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mgb chassis numbers
From: vortex@worldaccess.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 15:51:07 +0200
>Riveted on the dash is what appears to be a Chassis number --
>G-HN5UJ458091G while on the left-hand wing balance is another number,
>GU2ST868542P.

Well, Richard,

The first number you quote is the actual chassis number.
G=M.G. Cars Company
HN5 = (more or less the third version, HN3 is an early MGB)
N= roadster, as opposed to GHD5 = MGB GT
U = U.S.A. model (soft dash, etc. as opposed to e.g. European model)
J = ?
458091 = serial number, the first car starting with 101, there have been made
about 500000 in total.  (Mine, a 1970 Roadster, has number 205838).
G = (probably) model year number, I'm not too sure about that.

The second number is probably the commission number.
This is different. It is stamped on a plate secured to the slam panel, that
is, the horizontal panel in front of the radiator.
Don't know the meaning of this....

There is also a body number, located on a plate quite near to the commission
number plate but painted over and without any other text.
M.G. did not make the chassis themselves, but these were bought in from a
company called Pressed Steel. I guess the body number was issued by
Pressed Steel and the chassis number was issued by M.G.

If you have the chassis number, you can apply for a Production Record Trace
Certificate.
This will give you a lot of interesting info on your car as it left the factory:
the chassis no., engine no, body no., colour, key numbers, options (e.g.
wire or steel wheels, kph/mph speedo, heater,  ...), date of manufacture and
delivery, original destination and so on.

I found it very interesting. I was very much surprised to find that my car,
having had so many previous owners that I'm glad I'm not married to it,
:-) still had the original engine in it.

Write to:

The British Motor Industry Heritage Trust,
Castle Road,
Studley,
Warwickshire B 80 7AJ
England

Fax +44 152785 4357. This info, BTW, dates from 1990.
You'll have to pay for this service ( I think I heard it is 15 Punds
Sterling now),
but it is very worthwhile!

BTW: Are you allowed to register LHD cars in Australia? I thought I
read somewhere that it could not be done... Check this before you buy the car!

Hope this will be of any interest to you.

Bert Palte