Re: 77B Won't Start

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 77B Won't Start
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 10:01:57 -5000
Visual Productions writes:

> My recently-purchased '77B

> A few weeks ago the car started to run rough. It would occasionally
> misfire or suffer a loss of power when I would accelerate to highway
> speeds or to climb hills...
> The misfire and loss of power turned to horrible backfiring and
> sometimes flames out of the carb.
> The car won't even start at this time.

Always start at the beggining, and check all the tune up settings:

-Adjust the valves (If they're way off, they could cause this.
-check all vacuum lines and other hoses. Replace if cracking.
-Replace fuel filter
-clean the carb- preferably, remove it, check the float, and any rubber parts.
-check the points, rotor, dist cap, wires, igniton timing, etc.
-do a compression test.
-etc.

Then see how it works

- Loss of power, and backfiring through the carb may indicate bad ignition or
valve timing, bad valves (or adjustments)

-it may also indicate a lean condition- lack of fuel (Float, or filters,
etc.), leaking vacuum lines, leaking gaskets, etc.

- Another possibility is a plugged exhaust or catalytic converter.