Re: new engine/re-engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: new engine/re-engine
From: "Jerry Causey" <antiques@whidbey.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 21:38:22 +0800
=I drove my 1980 MGB to Reno last month, and I found myself being passed by
=campers while driving on Route 80 out of Truckee.  The car is SC
=(smog-correct) and just lacks any vim.  I suppose I can adjust the Strom carb
=somehow to compensate for altitude, but this seems like a lot of work.

=   Question:  What I think I need is a new engine.  A Chevy 300 someting or
=maybe a Mazda hummer.

NOT!  Mazdas have a really nasty exhaust sound, and the exhaust
temperature would probably melt your undercarriage.

= The engine must meet the following criteria.  1.  Not
=screw up the smog regs. 2.  Allow me to drive at altitude without any
=complaint.  3.  Give me some power--I think the 1800 cc mill in the MGB is
=basically the same engine installed in the 1955 MGA--no wonder the brit car
=industry is dead.  4.  Be relatively easy to install--ie with minimum frame
=modifications.  Any thoughts??

The MGB DRIVER for Nov/Dec 1993 had a feature article on a 1980 MGB
fitted with a Toyota 18R-G engine. This is a 2 liter, 4 Cyl, DOHC, 160 BHP
engine not normally available in the US. The Japanese equivalent of
the MOT makes a lot of low mileage engines available for export to we lesser
nations at a relatively low price (<US$600). They are readily
available in So. California, but I don't know about the rest of the
US. It sounded like a fairly simple transplant, compared to a Rover
V-8.

Regards,
Jerry