Re: roll understeer

To: gmapes@ball.com
Subject: Re: roll understeer
From: "Jerry Causey" <antiques@whidbey.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 17:22:05 +0800
I can't help with issue #33, mine starts at #36. However, I do have
Marc's rear suspension kit installed on my '67 MGB GT. It consists of
the longer shackles you mention (look like the ones in a Rancho
Suspension kit for a Jeep - really heafty), plus Carson spring eye
bushes  (magical polymer - very stiff, doesn't absorb oil or water,
self-lubed like Teflon), and a roll of Carsan strip to cut up and
inter-leave between the spring leafs. You have to de-arch the springs
so they are essentially flat when re-installed (that's a real task
all by itself), AND you have to use 1" lowering blocks to get the ride
height back to standard. If you have Fred Puhn's book, How To Make
Your Car Handle (HP Books), there's a pretty good discussion of this
mod, with photographs (of a Pinto!) on pp 92-93. If you are going to
go to this much trouble, you might want to also consider using a set
of fiberglass, mono-leaf rear springs from British Automotive, along with
Marc's kit. As soon as my wife finds a higher paying job, I plan to order
a pair. I spoke to Doug Jackson a year or so ago and he told me they have
almost no arch when installed. One last thing, if you are doing any
engine mods, you might as well count on installing a set of
anti-tramp bars as well. The lowering blocks act as a lever,
magnifying the torque effects on the rear axle

Regards,
Jerry Causey

You said:

Fellow netters:
I am seeking someone who keeps copies of MG magazine for at least 5 years.
I am looking for an article written by Marc Sayer in issue #33 (1990) on how
to modify the rear suspension of an MGB to reduce "roll understeer".  I know
this  is done by using longer shackles but would like to read the article.
TIA
Glenn Mapes  <gmapes@ball.com>
1968 MGB