Re: Sticky Midget 1500 Throttle -Reply

To: karl best <kbest@novell.com>
Subject: Re: Sticky Midget 1500 Throttle -Reply
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 15:36:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 25 Aug 1995, karl best wrote:

> Does anyone have any remedies to cure a sticky throttle cable on my
> Midget. I've tried greasing the peddle brackets and the moving bits  on the

The following relates to LHD; I don't know exactly the setup for RHD.
For LHD, anyway, sticky throttle may occur because the brackets that hold
the linkage to the floor are not aligned properly.

Remove the cable from the end of the shaft that connects the pedal to the
cable and determine if the stickiness is in the cable/carb linkage or in
the pedal linkage.  If it is the latter, try loosening the two cross-head
screws that fasten the cross-rod to the toe board (RHD may have less
linkage).  It is fairly common for the toe board to have waves in it that
keep the two brackets from being co-planar.  So when you screw them
tightly to the floor, they bind the shaft.  If it works better with the
screws loose, then experiment with washers between the brackets and the
toe board to get an arrangement that lets you tighten the brackets without
binding the shaft.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910