Re: best leather seat kits around

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: best leather seat kits around
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 10:58:09 PDT

> >Who has experience with various leather seat kits for MGB.  Moss?
> >Any advise appreciated.
> >                                                          Biff
> >
> >I've been intrigued by the leather seat kits offered by Prestige in England
> for $299.00. But I haven't tried them yet. Prestige Autotrim Products Ltd.
> toll free from the states: 1-800-659-2649 Mon-Fri 6am-5pm Eastern.
>
> Craig Wiper
> craig@wco.com

I can't tell you about seat kits because I do my own upholstery.  So I'm
only responding so I can brag.  Learning to sew is one of the benefits
of being a girl.  I once ran into an elderly gentleman who had made his
own leather upholstery for his MGA.  It was the first and only time he'd
ever used a sewing machine.  From what he described, he'd come up with
unorthodox ways of doing things, but it looked great.  If you have an
intact seat cover that you can use as an assembly guide and a pattern,
it's not that hard to figure out how to fabricate a new seat cover.  BTW,
furniture upholstery is easier than car upholstery because there's almost
no stitching.  The upholstery is built up layer by layer by nailing
successive layers to the wood frame.  But I digress.

The last time I bought leather for MGB seats, half of a hide cost $200.
With careful planning, An MGB can be done with half of a hide if the seat
backs are vinyl and carpet.  With the vinyl, carpet, piping, foam, and
leather, the total cost to do it yourself is about the cost of one of
those kits from Prestige.  If the kits are any good, it wouldn't make
sense to do it myself unless I wanted a color combination they didn't
offer.  Did I miss any responses to the request for info?  If no one has
tried these Prestige kits, is there any one out there who would be willing
to be the list guinea pig and let us know how they are?

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com