Timing info

Subject: Timing info
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 10:41:03 -0400 (EDT)
In order to make up for the fellow who fixed his diode problem without
consulting the list (horrors!)  I am going to ask a very basic question...

My manual went wandering, and I am trying to set ignition timing.  I have
an 18V on a 73 MGB... this has the timing mark around 10 o'clock and a
comb of five (?) teeth for reference.

Right now I have it set between the second and third teeth, about 2/3 of
the way.  This means what?

1) Teeth start at 0 BTDC and are 5 degrees apart. So: 8.5 degrees
2) Teeth start at 0 BTDC and are 10 degrees apart.  So: 16.5 degrees
3) Some other starting point or increment. So:  ????

If I set the mark to be even with the second tooth, the car runs hot and
sluggishly.  I am satisfied with the performance of the current setting
(but wouldn't mind more!) but am afraid that I am too far advanced...
which may have been a contributing cause to my piston loss a couple of
weeks ago.  I also hear a rattling SOMEtimes on light accelleration in
3rd or 4th gear.  Putting the foot down more gets rid of the noise.

The car is set to idle at 1500 with the vacuum advance attached, 1000
with it disconnected, if that's of any help.  The carbs are balanced and
the plugs are grey and even.

Thanks!!

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Rosenfield's Regret:
   The most delicate component will be dropped."