Toyota 4/5 speed gearboxes in MGBs??

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Toyota 4/5 speed gearboxes in MGBs??
From: pauletc@ozemail.com.au (Paul Loschiavo)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 1995 17:48:07 +0000
I know this will absolutely shock the purists, but has anyone ever used a
Japanese 4 or 5 speed gearbox, such as the Toyota box, to replace an MG
unit. Are there any adaptor bellhousings on the market and does the Jap
lever poke through the floor at the same location as the original unit?
Whilst I have no intention of ever doing this, I was just curious to know
if it had ever been done successfully, and if there is any real benefit to
be gained from doing this. I know of these units being used in other cars,
such as the rear wheel drive MKI and MKII Escorts, as the Toyota boxes are
renowned for their strength and reliabilty.

Once again I'm sorry if I have shocked any purists wth my enquiry.

Happy MG motoring.

                 pauletc