Re: Toyota 4/5 speed gearboxes in MGBs??

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Toyota 4/5 speed gearboxes in MGBs??
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 09:31:37 +1000
>I know this will absolutely shock the purists, but has anyone ever used a
>Japanese 4 or 5 speed gearbox, such as the Toyota box, to replace an MG
>unit. Are there any adaptor bellhousings on the market and does the Jap
>lever poke through the floor at the same location as the original unit?
>Whilst I have no intention of ever doing this, I was just curious to know
>if it had ever been done successfully, and if there is any real benefit to
>be gained from doing this. I know of these units being used in other cars,
>such as the rear wheel drive MKI and MKII Escorts, as the Toyota boxes are
>renowned for their strength and reliabilty.
>
>Once again I'm sorry if I have shocked any purists wth my enquiry.
>
>Happy MG motoring.
>
>                 pauletc

The common conversions in Australia are a Toyota Celica or Datsun 1200
gearbox for either the MGB 1800cc or for a Midget.  For the V8s a Supra is
used, because it is stronger.

The conversion kits must be available somewhere in the US surely.  If not
contact :

MG Workshops
1 Carey Street
EAST BENTLEIGH VIC 3165