RE: starter pinion and side markers

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter pinion and side markers
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 08:58:00 PDT

 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: Sean Johnson
Cc: mgs
Subject: starter pinion and side markers
Date: Monday, September 11, 1995 11:14AM

>I own a 69 midget, and the starter pinion keeps getting jammed with the
>ring gear.  I have replaced the starter but the problem persists.  It
>will start fine most of the time, but occasionally, the pinion sticks and
>I must remove the starter to dislodge it.
>is this problem common?  and what are my options?

The ring gear is probably damaged. Does the starter freely return to relaxed
position after being released? If so, it is probably the ring gear. It could
also be the alignment of the starter in relation to the ring gear.

>also, this car has reflective side markers behind the front wheels, I
>have not seen any similar and was wondering if they were standard?

I had them on my 69 BGT. Sort of flat square, rounded corners, amber color
as I remember.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Lew Palmer