Curious Temperature Question

To: "'MG Group'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Curious Temperature Question
From: "J. Michael Roach" <mroach@socketis.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 10:49:39 -0500
OK, here I go again...I'll try to be brief:

Car in question: '75 Midget

My idle has been running high (about 1500 rpm) ever since I purchased =
the thing.  I tried to adjust the idle speed, but the screw was all the =
way out.  Then, my roommate thought it was a timing problem (he'd had a =
similar problem with his '67 Camaro) and altered the timing so the idle =
came back down.

Not thinking through this, I know realize that he retarded the timing so =
far that detonation began to occur.  This is where it all started to go =
wrong.

When I took it out for a drive, it was fine for about 10 minutes.  Then, =
the temperature gauge went through the roof.  I shut off the car, waited =
for it to cool down and tried it again.

Bottom line is, I can drive this car for about 10 minutes, then =
BOOM--temp goes sky high.

 - Thermostat?
 - Low coolant?
 - Bad head gasket?

What kind of damage may I have done the first time?  I'm afraid I've =
injured the poor girl and I hate to make matters worse.

j. michael
75 Midget
90 Mitsu Galant