Re: serious objection to stripes

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Subject: Re: serious objection to stripes
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 11:09:56 -0400 (EDT)

And later writes:

>  I have the early disk wheels on the B (let's talk subtle and
> ironic!) and he feels they project a conservative image.  He says stripes
> project an agressive image.  The presence of both disk wheels and stripes
> on one car would add up to a mixed message.

  I was mulling over a similar idea while thinking of colors to paint my B.
It seems that the B changed its image quite a bit in the early 70's.  When
the car lost the early type interior and obviously in 74 when it went to
rubber bumpers.  The early B's are elegant and understated, and the best
colors for them (All of this, IMHO, of course) are colors like antique
white, or burgandy, or that nice real light blue.  Something that brings out
the cars elegance.  Stripes would work against this, and I think wire wheels
adds to it.
  The later B's, however, seem to lose a lot of the elegance but gain a more
fun, sporty type feel, giving them a natural look with the brighter colors,
such as yellow, bright blue, or blaze, and our previously mentioned stripes.
Also, on these cars, I've always thought wire wheels look a little
anacronistic.

  Anybody who disagrees, I'd love to here your angle.  (As would my
housemate who desperately doesn't want me to paint the car Bronze Yellow
like I think I want, but wants it to be Antique White :-)

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation
                                        '74 MGB, '76 Spit