Re: My husband screwed up my car!

To: Sharon Zurflieh <zurf@emi.net>
Subject: Re: My husband screwed up my car!
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 09:27:37 +0500
>Whoops!  Did I say voltage regulator?  I meant voltage
>*stabilizer*.  See, I probably would have done a worse
>job than my husband.  But seriously, he was raised by
>a Mercedes mechanic and has some inkling of what he's
>doing.  The radio, if that's the problem, I installed
>myself, over a year ago.
>
>So, uh, TeriAnn, or anybody else out there, how do you
>suggest I fix this throttle problem?  Thank you very,
>very much to everybody for all your advice.

Sharon, et al.:

Okay, after that disarming 'thank you' I feel bad about the husband joke.
After all, I'm a husband too and I'm lucky my wife doesn't post the stories
about my many auto foibles.  Like the time I put the plug wires back on
wrong and "sworked" over it for about an hour with cherry bomb explosions
out the tail pipe... or the time I drilled that eeenesy teeensy extra little
hole trying to put the side strips on... or the time I put a hole in the
driver's seat upholstry by sitting down with a screw driver in my back
pocket... or the time I...

Can you spell f-e-e-l-l-i-k-e-a-n-i-d-i-o-t?

Getting serious for a minute: electrics is a bit out of my range (what
isn't?) but perhaps your new stabilizer is somehow either bad or at least
has a bad (intermittent) connection(?).  It sounds like the problem only
arose after the swap?  Doubtful the radio has anything to do with it as it
sounds like the car ran fine with the new radio for about a year.  My '63 B
doesn't have a stabilizer (I regulate voltages by varrying rpm and high
beams  :-).

Regarding the throttle problem: even on the later cars the linkage is
entirely mechanical (i.e. no drive by wire like in those F1 cars).  I'm
guessing you have a single Zenith carb?  Your throttle cable may be coming
unwound and hanging up in its casing(?)  Alternatively, can your
butterfly/throttle shaft be "dirty" and sticking?  Perhaps some carb
cleaner?  Zehring's rule: check the cheap stuff first.

Cheers, and welcome to the list (anyway).

Will Zehring

p.s.  sometime I'll tell you about the time I took apart my parent's
lawnmower.  I think my dad still has the box of bits in his garage.