Re: a cool warm place

To: Williem123@aol.com
Subject: Re: a cool warm place
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 10:29:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 21 Sep 1995 Williem123@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 95-09-19 23:31:16 EDT, antiques@whidbey.com (Jerry Causey)
> writes:
>
> >Is it possible that my oil-cooler is sucking too much heat out of the
> >engine in the winter? I noticed at one point, when my commute was
> >only 5 miles or so, that I was getting a lot of mucky white stuff in
> >the rocker cover, from condensation and too-cool oil, I suspect. I
> >covered over about 75% of the oil cooler with aluminum foil (what do
> >Brits call this stuff, BTW) and the white stuff didn't come back
> >after I changed the oil.
> >

> In the colder weather, I have been concerned that the oil cooler is
> unnecessary and prevents the engine from reaching correct operating temp on
> short commutes.  What I have routinely done is to cover the oil cooler front
> with a piece of plywood or plastic during the colder months, it just prevents
> the air flow through the cooler.  My engine get to operating temp quicker and
> I actually get a little heat from the heater/defroster/demister before
> getting to work.  I have seen a friends 'B that had a little cozy made for
> the oil cooler made of upholstry material complete with straps and snaps, it
> was open on each side and fit over the cooler from the top and snapped on the
> side (looks better than my plywood held in place with a bungee cord).

Most of the catalogs sell an "oil cooler thermostat".  This is spliced
in-line with both hoses (must open a bypass when cold).  Might be a bit
more elegant... I have been leery of it just because I live in the south
and I don't want to cut those lines unnecessarily.

If I were the original poster, I'd be concerned about where that
condensation was coming from, though,  Mayonnaise does not a good
lubricant make.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Engineers' Disease:  Ask an engineer for the time, and he'll tell you
how to build a watch. - Rob Reilly"