Re: rebound straps

To: "Engstrom Par, Bergslag" <par.engstrom@bergslag.telia.se>
Subject: Re: rebound straps
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 10:05:15 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 21 Sep 1995, Engstrom Par, Bergslag wrote:
> Hi all.
> I notised a couple a weeks ago that both my rebound
> straps (rubber rear axle) was quite bad.Yesterday after
> putting new ones in place i asked myself what are they
> really there for, except strapping rebound???!!
> I mean what do they really do??
>
> Par, Sweden

If they weren't there, and the axle was allowed to droop freely, then the
internals (piston) of the shocks would act as your rebound strap.....
(this is apparently a problem of the monroe tube shock conversion, ie.
the shock used doesn't have any internal stops, so if it allowed to
"bottom", then it will damage the shock, and possibly rip the shock
apart.....[monroe info from Glenn Schnittke RE: monroe shock conversion])

A $9.00 rebound strap is cheaper (and easier) than a $59 or $169 (ouch)
shock.

BTW  I did do a "custom" tube shock conversion on my B.  I have the upper
shock mount in double shear (metal on both sides of mount), and the lower
mount is a VERY BEEFY (same as the one on my 85 Buick) bolt.  I sized the
shock to allow for the required suspension travel, and also allowed for
the rebound straps to stretch without bottoming the shock.

I hope to scan the pictures I took of this conversion and have them on my
web page at some point in the next couple weeks.

Eric

Eric L. Van Iderstine - ME senior - Mississippi State University
Design Coordinator - MSU Formula SAE......Powered by Honda......
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB & 85 Buick (until I finish the MG)