re: MGB brakes

To: <rdonahue@holli.com>
Subject: re: MGB brakes
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 11:15:17 -24000
I've torn down a number of brake systems over the years, and the amount of
rust and gunk that can accumulate in various places makes me a firm believer
in regular fluid changes.

When brake cylinder pistons (master, wheel, caliper pistons) are actuated
regularly, the seals wipe the full travel of the cylinders, keeping things
clean.  Without regular use, the exposed area of the cylinder travel are mor
likely to rust or get dirty (which is why I had to order new caliper pistons
for my Spit).  The rusty areas and gunk in the fluid all contribute to poor
brake performance and high foot pedal loads.

Buy the car, disassemble the braking and clutch systems, renew seals, and
hone/resleeve/replace cylinders as needed.  I'm sure the brake performance
will improve substantially.  Of course, you could spend $1k for Moss'
upgrade...

Sean Johnson
'79 MGB