Nearly Off.......or Off'ly Near, Old Chap!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Nearly Off.......or Off'ly Near, Old Chap!
From: Jerome Keller <jkeller@cc-mail.pica.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 08:45:12 -0400
     Thanks to Ray Gibbons who wrote:

          You get onto a horse on the near (left) side. If you try to
          get on the right side, the horse will throw you *off*. So
          the right side is the off side, in England or the US.

     Ray, I agree that the near side is the side that you mount from, which
     is the left side of horses everywhere, but the right side of cars in
     England. This appeared reasonable to me, particularly since home model
     manuals (RHD) seem to indicate the near side is the driver's, or right
     side.

     Thus the question remains: If the near side is the side you mount
     from, wouldn't that be the left side for left-hand-drive cars and the
     right side for right-hand-drive cars?

     Once this is settled by some Recognized Authority (Hi, Chip!!) I
     suppose I will then have to learn my right from my left...

     Jerry Keller
     52 TD LHD
     53 YB RHD