Re: interchangeable parts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: interchangeable parts
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 13:16:28 -500
Denise Thorpe writes:

> maybe I should core dump all I know about Datsuns that have parts
> that fit on MG's.

> Under the hood of a 240Z, are two imitation S.U.'s that you wouldn't want
> to put on your car because the jets are pressed in.

Hatachi SU's, built under license from SU.

> The drivetrain in a Datsun 1300 pickup is a complete ripoff of the MGB
> drivetrain down to the dipstick in the transmission.

Datsun's early post war vehicles *were* Austins- built under license from
Austin, starting with the A40 in 1952. The earliest cars were almost
identical, and then Datsun began to slowly develop (And improve!) many of the
components, finally to the point where they were really Austin derived, but
Datsun designs. The 50's Datsuns are almost entirely Austin, and used an
engine design based on the BMC B-series. By the 60's, bodys began to change,
but driveline components were still very similar. The Bluebird and Fairlady
both had some parts which would interchange. By the begining of the 70's, the
Datsun designs began to surpass the British stuff- The 510 and the 240/260/280
Z's both still contain a lot of Austin background, but were more robust, and
performed better.
   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      |
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!