Re: A new carburettor synchronizing theory

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A new carburettor synchronizing theory
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 95 13:29:00 PDT

>My dad used to have an "SU Tool Kit" when he had his MGA (can't find it
now).
>Although I never used it, I believe it may have included some piece that
>indicated the position of the pistons, to be used in syncronizing. Does
>anybody
>have one of these and use it for this?

>Dave Culgan

You bet. In that kit there are two wire pointers which are inserted into
plastic/fiber pieces which are, in turn, slipped into the top of each damper
piston. The wires are turned to point to one another. When the carbs are
balanced the wires will continue to be pointing to one another upon
increasing throttle. If the are not balanced, the theory is that one wire
will rise more than the other.

The reason I say "theory" is that this all works fine if the carbs are in
good condition and there is no excess wear or sticking between the piston
and the dashpot. If there is, the adjustment will not necessarily be
correct. However, it's probably close enough and if the pistons or dashpot
bodies are worn or sticking, you'll never get a correct balance adjustment
anyway.

Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com