Re: MGB Body Repair Price Advice Needed

To: STLEON@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB Body Repair Price Advice Needed
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 10:02:54 -0900 (PDT)
In a message dated 95-10-17 19:17:04 EDT, rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J.
Donahue) writes:

> >I recently bought a 71 MGB for 2.5K. It runs good and looks good, but to my
> >chargrin I have found it needs 4K of structural repair (thats what the body
> >shop man claims)....

On Wed, 18 Oct 1995 Leon replies:

>  4k is way to much! You  can get a new body shell for $5000 or a car already
> done for the same money. I say sell !
>  Leon

Wait a minute. I'd have to guess that the 4k figure was for the
completed car returned to Mr. Donahue. It's great to spend $5000 for a
new Heritage shell, but aren't you also then going to paint it ($1-4k,
depending on deal and quality) and then an additional big bushel of time
and/or money to move everything over to this new shell? Assuming that
every single bit of the old car can be moved to the new shell with no
other work necessary (from replacing a grommet that looked and worked
just fine but tore as it came off the old shell to deciding that, well,
now that I've got a new hull I can't just use the fittings from the old
boat now, can I), you have at least doubled -- maybe tripled or more -- the
$4k bill. What you need to determine is a: will the finished product in
fact be worth that much more and b: is it worth all that additional
effort and cost to YOU, the one writing the checks?

New shells are fine for vigorously thumped, flapping winged,
sagging-in-the-middle rolling hulks, but....

My $.02 worth.

  * NYS Library                         phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *

  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *