Re: Miatas/MGF's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miatas/MGF's
From: MARTIN G BAKER <SCEMGB@cardiff.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 08:30:30 GMT

From:           MARK TAYLOR <SCEMT2@cardiff.ac.uk>
To:             Alan Tong <alan@picotech.co.uk>
Date sent:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 11:25:12 GMT
Copies to:      mgs@autox.team.net
Send reply to:  MARK TAYLOR <SCEMT2@cardiff.ac.uk>

> alan wrote:
> Just to add my two cent/pence worth to this thread....... >
> I have driven a couple of MX5's/Miatas and have found them to be very
> jumpy on uneven roads.  The handling and performance of the more
> recent 1.8's seems much better than the earlier 1.6's.  I would judge
> the handling to be slightly better than a standard B, but not quite
> as good as a Midget.  My Midget with uprated suspension can  drive
> circles around the MX5/Miata, but then my new MGF can drive circles
> around my Midget.
>
> In case their are any MGF owners out there, or if anyone is wondering
> about the lack of messages about them we have all moved over to the
> MGF BBS to save annoying everbody by gloating about how good the cars
> are.
>
> If there are people without WWW access who would like to read some of
> the reports on the MGF drop me a note.
>
> MFG BBS is at
> http://www.ipl.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/MG/sub2/cmtlist.html
>
> Regards
> Alan

Alan

Really good to hear that you love your F - how long have you had it ?
I've got an MX-5 at the moment and I seem to be the only person in
the UK that drives with the hood DOWN most of the time (for instance
M4 into London 10pm Friday in the rain - wicked!)

I saw a couple of MGF's in central London on Saturday - I was sat
behind one at traffic lights - and I couldn't believe just how much
higher it was compared to mine (it had the roof up as well - so I was
even less impressed).  I test drove one a couple of days after it was
released and although it rides very impressively to me it was just
too cosseting and I sat too high for it to feel like a sports car.
The gear stick is also too long.  My MX-5 feels just right  - a bit
short of go I admit - but it suits me just fine.

Enjoy the F, and if you ever see an MX-5 in the snow with the hood
down - give it a wave 'cos it's probably me.

Best regards

Mark Taylor (scemt2@cf.ac.uk)

Martin Baker
UWC Engineering