Luggage rack bracket ?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Luggage rack bracket ?
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 13:45:52 +0600
Some time back, I lost one of the screws that secure a corner bracket.  I
found it today, and I'd like to get it back on before I lose it again.

Normally, I'd just press on a spire nut and forget it.  The problem is, the
bracket is at the hinge-side of the trunk.  There's no access to the back of
the hole because of the big structural member.  I guess when the rack was
installed they just twisted the screws into the sheetmetal and left it.
Now, however, the holes are slightly larger than they used to be (as my
little brother would say, "wallered out") and the screws can't grab anymore.

About the only solution I can think of is to fill the holes with some goop,
let it harden, then replace the screws, but what sort of goop would work
best? Is epoxy good enough, or does there exist some filler material
specifically designed for this?

Or is there a better/easier solution I'm completely missing, like getting
somebody to weld up the hole and re-drill?  The chromed piece will cover a
good bit of the underlying body metal, so all but the grossest cosmetic
flaws would be acceptable.

Got my Dremel warmed up.  (Wish I had a set of Posi-drives.)

TIA!
--
Jay Tilton / jtilton@vt.edu  (vt = Virginia Tech  vt <> Vermont)
Home page: http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html