Re: Aldon distributor / Elect Ignition

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aldon distributor / Elect Ignition
From: Alan Tong <ALAN@picotech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 16:35:35 +0000
> Date:          Mon, 30 Oct 95 09:29:11 CST
> From:          Greg Grohoski <gregg@cyrix.com>
> To:            mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject:       Aldon distributor for MGB

> I recently installed an Aldon
> distributor in my 73 MGB.  According
> to the case it's a Lucas 43D4
> (note NOT 45D4) distributor body.
>
> The distributor plate and points
> are different than the 25D4 I used
> previously.  Does anyone know if
> the 43D4's parts are interchangeable
> with the 45D4?  I'd like to
> install an electronic ignition and
> would like to know what to order...
>
> thanks,
>
> greg

Greg,

Can't help with what can be swapped with what, but do have some
suggestions for the electronic ignition.

Aldon themselves do a neat electronic ignition module that fits
totally inside the distrib (unlike most units).  I have used these on
2 cars and during tests we found approx 3% improvement in fuel
consumption and a very slight increase in power.  The main advantage
is the fit and forget nature of it.  I think they cost about stlg60 in
the UK.

If you want to go all out for performance, things gets a lot more
expensive.  The ideal advance curve of your car will have to be found
on a rolling road.  This can then be mapped into a ROM based system.
It wont actually give much of an increase to peak power, but will
ensure that the maximum possible power is availible over the engines
whole rev range.  John Wilcox Engineering in the UK (++44 1455
230576) do a nice combined fuel injection/ electronic ignition unit
that can be fitted to Midgets and B's.

If you do a lot of miles (or want absolute peak performance) then
don't bother with electronic ignition.

Regards
Alan