Re: Smog Tests in California

To: mgs@autox.team.net, iweinstein@shell.monmouth.com
Subject: Re: Smog Tests in California
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 07:45:04 -0500
> Gentlemen,
>
> I know that there are some smog / emmission requirements that are
> specific for CA.  However, isn't there also a $500 fee for
> registration of out of state vehicles moved into CA?
>
> A friend of mine told me this about 2 years ago, but now that I am
> thinking of moving to San Francisco I am very interested.
>
> Ira
>
> Ira M. Weinstein, Matawan NJ
>
> '77 MGB

- -Jap cars snipped- -

> (Have MG, hope to travel ...)

Ira,

My Collage roommate just moved to the bay area from VA. He brought his car with
him so I forwarded your message to him.

- -Mark    = =o&o

Here is his reply:

The fee for a car that was not originally bought in CA, i.e. no CA smog
equipment, is $300. On top of that, there is a yearly fee of something like 2%
of the car's value, similar to property tax that counties charge in  states
such as VA. There are no county fees here, just the 2% state fee. A word of
advice to new residents: DMV lets you make appointments to come in to register
- take advantage of it!!! The lines are really long otherwise!