Re: Fuel gauge problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel gauge problems
From: jfischer@supercollider.com (James Fischer)
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 1995 11:29:22 -0500
A. D. Smith (a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk) searched for insight as follows:

>The one that I think is most likely (or at least the one that I want to be
>true) is that the problem lies with the "Bimetalic voltage stabilizer" in
>series with the gauge / sender.  The funny thing is that I replaced this
>about a year ago !

    This may be a clue.  Was it really dead?  Do you still have the
    "broken" one?  What is the resistance across the "new" one versus
    the old "broken" one?

>Does anyone know exactly what's in there, so that I can bring it
>to work and get the electronics guys to test it ?

    The "bi-metalic" in the name indicates that two different metals
    (for example, copper and tin) are used to create a variable
    resistance.  The current running through the device creates
    heat, which causes the two different metals to expand at
    different rates, and bend a metal tab.  The bending tab "shorts
    out" a resistor at different points, thus making a variable
    resistance.  If you want a "bench test", measure the device's
    resistance with the ohms setting on a volt meter.  It should
    conduct electricity (and display a low resistance reading).

    Testing the response of the stabilizer under different "load"
    conditions would require all sorts of math and a few rigged-up
    test circuits.  Forget about getting that detailed.

    The operative question is "Do you have 12 Volts DC (or something
    more than 0 Volts DC)?  You would want to put a decent volt meter
    on various points WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN CIRCUIT IN THE CAR.
    Better that you borrow a volt meter from your pals than bring the
    voltage stabilizer into the lab for them to "test".

    In short, the stablizer is a variable resistor, and so is
    the fuel-tank-sensor.  The fuel gauge reading varies with
    the changing resistance of the fuel-tank-sensor, so...

       A) If the gauge reads "Empty" when you have gas in the tank:

                -  The tank-sensor wire could be unplugged or broken
                     and somehow grounded, most likely because it is
                     touching metal somewhere.
                -  The fuel gauge could not be grounded well (it should
                     have its own little black wire attached under
                     one of the knurled nuts that hold the gauge in
                     place, and the connection should be tight and clean.)
                -  The gauge itself could be bad.
                -  There could no no voltage fed to the circuit, for
                     whatever reason.

       B) If the gauge reads "Full" all the time:

                -  The wire from the tank-sensor to the gauge
                     is broken or unplugged, but the good news
                     is that you DO have voltage.

    Not knowing the specific symptoms of your problem, I would suggest
    the following test process if the hints above do not help:

        1)  If you can borrow a volt meter from your lab, start at the fuse
            box. Look for the fuse with the multiple green wires connected.
            Measure your voltage there.  It should be roughly 12 VDC with
            the key turned "on".  If it is less than 12 VDC, compare the
            reading with the reading across the battery terminals.  The
            two should match.

        2)  Pull the cable connector with the multiple green wires off its
            terminal.  This should disconnect all of the following:

                    Emergency Flashers
                    Reverse Lamp
                    Stopping Lamps
                    Fuel Gauge
                    Tachometer
                    Whatever else you have kludged onto those circuits.

        3)  Make up a cable (get some push-on terminals at your auto
            supply store, and borrow a crimper, or just use a pair of
            pliers) that will run from the "multiple-green" fuse terminal
            to the "B" connector on the voltage stabilizer.  (Unplug the
            green wire, as it is no longer connected to the fuse.) This
            "test" wire will feed power to the fuel gauge circuit, leaving
            the other items out of the circuit, and hence, making the
            debugging process less complex.

        4)  If the problem just went away, this means that the source
            of your problem is perhaps the wire itself, but more likely
            the problem is caused by one of the other circuits mentioned
            above. (Reconnect everything and see what works and what does
            not work, or trace each circuit in turn using methods similar
            to those outlined below.)

        5)  If the problem persists, unplug the "test" wire from the "B"
            terminal of the voltage stabilizer, change the connector on
            the end of the "test" wire from female to male, and plug it
            into the Light Green/Green striped wire that connects to the
            "I" terminal of the voltage stabilizer.  You have now removed
            the voltage stabilizer from the circuit, and are feeding the
            tank sender and gauge with a direct (raw) 12 VDC feed from the
            fuse.  If this clears up the problem, perhaps you DO have a
            second failure of the stabilizer, but I have never seen a
            dead one in 20 years of messing about with MGs.

        6)  There are a couple of bullet connectors in the circuit that
            are not shown in the wiring diagrams.  They are located
            at the front edge of the fuel tank, and they are a failure-
            prone aspect of MG Midgets.  One wire (the Green/Blue) is
            the connector to the fuel tank sender unit, and the others
            are the power feed for the fuel pump.  All can be looked
            at if you put the car up on jackstands, and all should
            be inspected.  (I have soldered mine, since I hate the
            idea of a bullet connector that is exposed to random
            junk being tossed up from the wheels and road.)

        7)  A bad ground at the fuel tank can be a real pain too.
            The fuel-tank-sensor has ONE wire connected to it.  This
            is the "hot" wire to the fuel gauge. The tank-sensor
            gets its ground connection from the metal-to-metal contact
            between the sender and the fuel tank (that funny-looking
            round twist-lock mounting system).  Some emery paper
            and elbow grease applied to both surfaces might help.
            The tank gets its ground from the studs to which one
            attaches the nuts that hold the fuel tank.  Select one
            of these nuts, remove it, clean the stud, replace the
            nut and washer with new ones, and emery-paper the heck
            out the the tank flange in the area under and around the
            nut and washer.  (I have a specific braided copper ground
            strap on my fuel tank, and therefore have eliminated
            this "problem-just-waiting-to-happen" on my MG).

        8)  The meters themselves are not very reliable, nor accurate.
            Current flow through a hand-wrapped coil of wire causes
            the motion of the meter, and they are subject to mechanical
            vibration, even under the best of conditions.

        9)  If you have good connections, and still have no luck,
            measure the voltage at each possible connection and report
            back.  I can measure the voltages on my (working) Midget
            to compare.  If you have the MG shop manual or the Haynes
            manual, this would help, since they number the components
            in their electrical schematics.

       10)  I have heard of (but never seen) strange things happening
            with Midgets that have a bad ground connection at the
            ground strap near the clutch slave cylinder.  This is the
            "main" ground for the entire car, and it can become coated
            with oil, clutch fluid, and grime to the point that there
            is no longer a ground.  Some cleaning here might be in
            order if all else fails.

>While I'm here, does anyone have any suggestions about clocks...

    Funny you should mention that.  I made a "rally" instrument panel
    for my Midget that replaces the metal-mesh panel in the center
    console of a Midget.  I took a collection of VDO gauges, and did
    some painstaking work with the meter faces to make them look like
    Smiths gauges.  I then had the face rings chromed to match the MG
    "style".  I have:

            Volts (Same Size as Fuel Gauge)
            Amps  (1.5")
            Block Surface Temperature (thermocouple-driven) (1.5")
            Vacumn (Same Size as Fuel Gauge)

    If I wanted, I could pop out the "rally" panel, put the chrome
    mesh back in and put the stupid little light back on, but I like
    the instruments better.  This MG is not for show, it is for
    driving, so I have no qualms about enhancing the car far beyond
    what British Leyland had in mind.

    But a CLOCK?  Whatever for?  Time is relative, and if I am in
    my MG, I will be either very very early (driving too fast) or
    very very late (taking the scenic route).  If I had a clock, I
    would look at it, and think about what I was supposed to be
    doing, thus making the MG just about as much fun as my Volvo!

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics says "Natural processes increase entropy".
Translation  - "You think you're in trouble now?  Just you wait..."

   james fischer                       jfischer@supercollider.com