Re: mg 1100's (SPAM) and Wonderful AUSTIN AMERICAS

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mg 1100's (SPAM) and Wonderful AUSTIN AMERICAS
From: mgreenin@ix.netcom.com (MARC GREENING)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 01:38:28 -0800
You wrote:

>Len Bugel replied:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:
>>

>> > And let's not forget the MG 1100.
>> >
>> > Denise Thorpe, organizer and sole member of the Society for the
Protection
>> > and Appreciation of the MG 1100 (SPAM)
>> >
>>      Indeed let's not! When VW  closely followed by Chrysler
>> 'invented' the hatchback in the '70s,  they sold like hotcakes --
the
>> 1100 was ahead of its time.
>
>*sniff*  Another MG 1100 fan.  I'm getting all verklempt.
>
>In case anyone wants to join SPAM, here's the oath:
>
>I [state your name] do solemnly swear not to ridicule or cause to be
>ridiculed any MG 1100, its owner, or driver even in front of a
>romantic interest that I'm trying to impress.  Secondly, I promise to
>rescue any repairable MG 1100 from the wrecker (breaker) if said car
>can be purchased for no more than $200US.  Thirdly, I promise to do
>everything in my power to maintain in a drivable condition any MG 1100
>I may own.
>
>All persons taking the oath may now sing the SPAM song.
>
>SPAM, spam, spam, spam
>SPAM, spam, spam, spam...
>(Sung to the tune of the Monty Python Spam song)
>
>Please let me know if you've joined so I can keep track of us.

HEY, WHAT ABOUT THE GOOD OLD AUSTIN AMERICA?!?!?!?
  I'm feeling left out, you and your MG 1100's think you own the whole
world, but it's not true. Those of us with Austrin Americas do occupy a
small percentage. Remember the Austin does have a more Luxurious
interior. And a bigger engine, too. You could at least mention us in
you song... someting like this:

spam, spam, spam, spam,
and Austin America, too...

(sung to the Monty Python tune)

And another thing, I got my last Austin America for US $40, not US$200,
(of course the engine and trans were a boxed set, litteraly. The
previous America was a different story. The wrecker suckered me out of
US$500 because I could drive it off the lot. No one told me to check if
the piston wrist pins were floating. For those not informed, the answer
is they shouldn't.

I'm feeling much better now...

marc greening
san diego,ca
'68 Austin America
'6? Boxed set engine and Automatic Trans
and the dreaded domestic (damned thing let all the smoke out of the
alternator last night)