Re: What fog lamps should I buy?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, "Jerry Causey" <antiques@whidbey.com>
Subject: Re: What fog lamps should I buy?
From: "jpratchi" <jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 95 12:39:35 est
Jerry asks;

>As a side note, at what point will all these flame throwers suck the
>life out of the 47 amp alternator I rescued from a wrecking yard TR7
>to replace my over-worked generator? Is there a formula for
>computing amps consumed by these electrical devices?
   If you assume operation off a properly working charging system providing a
solid nominal 14 volts at the battery, the formula is:

                              Power consumption (Watts)
Consumed current (Amperes) = ---------------------------
                                    14.0 (Volts)

>Do I dare install that 600 watt stereo amp to power my 15 inch
>sub-woofers?
   Where do you have 15 inches of flat surface to install them?  If you turn the
volume all the way up, you'll barely have 5 amps left to power the car from your
47 amp alternator.  Maybe you need a nice American 80 Amp unit off a Caddy or
Continental :>)  .

>How about the dancing neon under-car and license frame kit?
   The vibration of a typical LBC would surely break the glass envelope of the
typical neon illumination system.