Farina MG?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Farina MG?
From: daveph@ix.netcom.com (David Hay )
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 22:14:31 -0800
Dear friends,

    I've been reading a thread here recently about MG 1100/1300 and
Post War Magnettes and I think that there may be some points that are
becoming confused. In particular the mention of an MG saloon being
called a "Farina".

    First, this is what I think I know about the cars in question:

In 1953 the Z-series Magnette was introduced. This is the first time
the BMC B-series engine was to be used in an MG. The engine first saw
life in the Austin A40 and was originally bored to 1300cc. For the new
ZA Magnette the unit was increased to 1500cc. The car had independent
front suspension via double unequal length wishbones with a telescopic
shock absorber shrouded by the coil springs. Rear suspension was by
semi-elliptical leaf springs and telescopic shocks. The model became
the ZB in 1956 and the "Varitone" in 1958. The Varitone being a ZB with
a two-tone paint scheme and an optional 'Manumatic' transmission.

By the end of 1958, the production of MGAs at Abingdon was causing
space problems and the decision was made to stop production of the
Z-series and introduce a new BMC sedan designed and built in
Longbridge. This new model was actually the Austin A60 but was restyled
by the Italian body design house of Pinin Farina (who later legally had
his name changed to Pininfarina). The model was introduced in 1959 as
the Magnette Mark 3. This is the notorius "ugly duckling" with tailfins
and large boot. The car was basically a rebodied ZB and retained most
of its mechanicals with the exception of brakes. The wheelbase was also
shortened from 8'6" to 8'3.125". The Mark 3 became the Mark 4 in 1961
and along with the change came an increased engine displacement to
1622cc. The model was discontinued in 1968. A total of 15,676 Mark 3s
and 13,738 Mark 4s were produced.

During the mid-50s BMC was inspired by the ideas of Alec Issigonis and
his basic new design principles would be produced in cars of three
engine sizes: 850cc, 1100cc, 1800cc. The mid-ranged 1100cc series was
introduced in 1961 and an MG badged car (Denises' little luvs) appeared
in 1962 with better appointments. The engine sported twin carbs, fully
independent suspension by means of an interconnected pressurized fluid
displacement system known as "Hydrolastic", and front wheel drive. The
engine was mounted transversely and the gearbox was integral with and
below it. Road holding and handling were judged excellent.

In 1967 the model became known as the 1300 as the engine was increased
to 1275cc. Now a two door body and automatic transmission were offered
as options. In 1969 the four-door option was dropped and in 1971 the
whole model was dropped, the Leyland Group having favored the Austin
GT. No MG sedans were to built until 1982.

Sorry this got so long, honestly I didn't mean it. It just came pouring
out. But seriously, few people may know of the existance and history of
these cars and since there is so much discussion on them I thought I
might try to post a little summary.

On a final note, I don't think the Mark 3 was ever referred to as a
"Farina MG" or "Farina Mark 3" but I could be wrong. Also does anyone
know if there was a "Princess" version of the 1300? Or was this another
badge-engineered Leyland creation of another totally different car?
Sometimes it's so darn confusing.

BTW I took the SPAM oath (blush) although I may never actually see one
here in the rustbowl I call home (Pittsbugh) most of them having long
since turned to powder. I actually have always secretly yearned for a
MG 1300 (blush) so I'm glad to see that there are others with my
affliction.

Please if anything I wrote is not correct, please point it out since I
hate not being up on my facts.

                                        Dave Hay