Re: MGB '69 better than '67?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB '69 better than '67?
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 09:10:55 -0500
Bert asks:

>The question is that I want your opinion about which one to choose.
>My intention is, after the car is restored, to drive the car without
>problems as a daily driver.
>
>According to the magazines, a '67 car, with the weak gearbox,
>generator, starter motor is more prone to problems than a '69 or
>later car.
>What do you notice about that in practice? Or does it depend on your
>driving style and the technical condition of the car?

Appologies to all owners of post '67 Bs, but in my mind there is no hard
decision to make here.  I would absolutely go for the '67.  I'm not sure
what a "weak" geargox is in this case.  Others can comment on this,
hopefully.  Are you planning on racing this car?  Just take it easy and
respect the non-synchro first-its easy to deal with IMHO.   Regarding the
generator and starter motor: put in new brushes, buy a new voltage
regulator, install fuses in some lines and don't worry about it!  If and
when generator repairs are needed, its easy.  It takes maybe 20 mins to swap
generators.  You will also find that the OD box is the difference between
head aches and true motoring pleasure (albeit not in an MG 1100-sorry,
Denise).  I think the aesthetic differences btwn. the two dashes are also
compelling.  Last but by no means least: no air pump on the '67 (as far as I
know).  I'd rather have to fix a tired generator than replace a siezed air
pump (granted: local laws may permit you to remove OE smog devices in your
sector).

Will "wears it on his sleve, too" Zehring