MGB '69 better than '67?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB '69 better than '67?
From: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:43:01 +0100
** Reply Requested When Convenient **
Hi to you all,

Although this is my first posting on this list, I subscribed almost a
year ago. So I have been able to get used to all the problems and
technicalities which occur to an MGB owner now and then.

I am in the process of buying an MGB at one of our Dutch vendors.
The problem is that I can choose between two types.

- One is a, I assume early, '67 car, cause it has the 3 synchro
gearbox (with O/D, yes) and a generator, instead of an alternator and
it has a metal dashboard, which I prefer above the padded plastic
one. The car is currently in grey primer and doesn't have signs of
rust except slight rust in the floorpan.
- The other one is a '69 car with a 4 synchro gearbox (no O/D),
alternator and a weathered "US style" plactic dash. The rest is
basically the same condition as the other one, that means bad paint,
worn interior, but mechanically sound.

Both cars are California imports.

The question is that I want your opinion about which one to choose.
My intention is, after the car is restored, to drive the car without
problems as a daily driver.

According to the magazines, a '67 car, with the weak gearbox,
generator, starter motor is more prone to problems than a '69 or
later car.
What do you notice about that in practice? Or does it depend on your
driving style and the technical condition of the car?

Thanks in advance,

Bert Otten
'VW Passat Variant '78'