Re: Relays?

To: mgs@autox.team.net, sean_johnson@milacron.com
Subject: Re: Relays?
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:45:48 -0500

> Thanks a lot! Just when I begin to understand the "smoke" concept, people
> start talking about relays!
>
> Would some kind soul who understands electrons and their interaction with the
> "smoke" concept kindly draw out in ascii graphics a simple non-relay, and a
> simple relay circuit?
>
> I'd also really appreciate a short discussion of the innards of a relay.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sean "electrically challenged" Johnson
> '79 MGB
> '75 Spitfire

The following bad ASCII art will hopefully help the even lamer explanation.

Un-Energized Relay:
 | Contacts                                 |
 |  \_/-------------------------|           |
 |                              |           |
 |  /-\______________           |           |
 |   |)              |          |           |
 |  (|               |          |           |
 |   |) C            |          |           |
 |  (|  O            |          |           |
 |   |) I            |          |           |
 |  (|  L            |          |           |
 |   |)              |          |           |
 |  (|               |          |           |
 |   |)              |          |           |
 |  (|               |          |           |
 |__||_______________|__________|___________|
    ||               |          |
  SW||GND        BATT|          |CIRCUIT

Low Current         High Current
 Wiring               Wiring

   Energized Relay:
 | Contacts                                 |
 |     _____________/-----------|           |
 |  \_/                         |           |
 |  /-\______________           |           |
 |   |)              |          |           |
 |  (|               |          |           |
 |   |) C            |          |           |
 |  (|  O            |          |           |
 |   |) I            |          |           |
 |  (|  L            |          |           |
 |   |)              |          |           |
 |  (|               |          |           |
 |   |)              |          |           |
 |  (|               |          |           |
 |__||_______________|__________|___________|
    ||               |          |
  SW||GND        BATT|          |CIRCUIT

Low Current         High Current
 Wiring               Wiring

A relay basically is just a remotely controlled smoke switch. It is
used in applications where a large amount of smoke needs to be switched
on and off. Inside is a switch that is controlled by an electo-magnet.
As you remember from physics, an electro-magnet is a coil of wire
around an iron bar. It is designed with small wire so that when the
user puts smoke thru the coil wires only a small amount is needed to
produce a large enough  magnetic field to pull the contacts together
(someone else needs to explain the effects of smoke and magnetic
fields). The contacts are designed to pass a large amount of smoke.
This way a small switch on the dash with small wires can control large
amounts of smoke elsewhere. This is the principle behind the ignition
switch and the starter solenoid (another name for a relay). As with any
switch when the contacts open or close a small amount of smoke escapes
from the wiring and makes the contacts dirty. This accumulates on the
contacts over a period of time rendering the relay us

I hope this basic explanation is clear. I hope others more well versed
will embellish this with a more astute answer.

Comments Welcome!!

- -Mark