Re: Electronic Ingition Info.

To: craigw@sonic.net (craig wiper)
Subject: Re: Electronic Ingition Info.
From: Bill Lattimer <m22@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 07:20:20 -0700 (MST)
At 08:51 PM 11/15/95 -0800, craig wiper wrote:

>I used an Allison (now Crane) XR700 in my B for a couple of years. Off and
>on it would just die on me for no reason. I finally ripped out the
>electronic ignition and old distributor and replaced all with a new
>Euro-spec Lucas distributor with points. The B now runs smoother, gets just
>as good gas mileage and doesn't die on me anymore. So, in my opinion, __no__
>electronic ignition is best!
>
>Craig Wiper
>craigw@sonic.net

Although I didn't have the same problem as Craig, I ended up taking out my
XR3000 Crane unit because a) it didn't work with my previously installed
soft-touch rev limiter and b) it didn't fit my Aldon distributor when I
installed it as part of my sidedraft Weber install.

I haven't noticed any difference since switching back to points.  Being in
DSP, I rarely see the far side of 5800 RPM, so I'm not sure there's that
much value to it other than the maint. aspect.

my $.02