Re: Electronic Ingition Info.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electronic Ingition Info.
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 95 08:37:20 EST
As Dave Etherington said:

>I installed the Lumenition Optronic Ignitioin system a few years ago.
>No problems so far. About the same time, I tried the Platinum plugs,
>and the combination seems to work very well. The main attraction was
>not having to endlessly adjust and replace Lucas points. I was
>nervous about making the switch, but the installation instructions
>looked far worse than the job turned out to be. It was absolutely
>textbook.
>
>The last source I'm aware of was Special Interest Car Parts, and the
>'92 price was about $121 for module and fitting kit.

I will strongly agree with all of this as the stuck record Lumenition
promoter.  The fitting unit is designed SPECIFICALLY for your dizzy.
It is a two point mounting set-up, not the generic 15 different degrees
of freedom that the Crane system has in an attempt to fit all dizzies.
The system can be fitted easily in an hour.

Several points:
        If you are going with any electronic ignition system, you will
                likely have to upgrade your coil.
        The Lumenition system is a drop fit.  I have heard a number of
                people on the list complain about having to play with
                their tachs after installing a Crane system.  This is
                apparently straight forward, but it makes the installation
                process longer.
        For the British of heart, the Lumenition system is made in Britain.
                I think AutoCar is the parent company.  Don't know if being
                British-made is an advantage or not :-O
        I have been associated with three Lume systems.  My 77B came with
                one.  I got the car at 70K miles and finally sold it at
                140K.  I never had any trouble related to the ignition
                system.  I installed one on my 73 Midget.  Less than an
                hour to install once I had self tapping screws.  Installed
                one this spring in my 69 C/GT.  Smashed the optical chopper
                as I didn't get the cap on square.  I have destroyed at least
                two other rotors and caps in this manner :-(  The C seems to
                start easier and pull harder with Lumenition system than
                with the points set-up.  This is subjective however.
        Save the points set-up.  At least with the Lumenition system, the
                points can go back in if need be in short order.  Drive to
                a show with the Lume, put in the points for judging, and go
                home on the Lume?  What to do with that black box though...

I have purchased both of my Lumenition systems through TSI (Ted Schumacher
Imports) in Pandora Ohio.  Don't have their number with me, but it should be
on the Monster List (tm).  Price was ~$135 this past spring if memory hasn't
failed me too badly.  If you order this set-up, have your dizzy model number
in hand before you call.  The fitting kit is dizzy specific.  TSI is easy to
work with and very knowledgable, even if TRs are their main claim to fame ;)

Disclaimers:  I have no affiliation with Lumenition, just a very happy user.
I have no affiliation with TSI, just a local company that has done well by me.

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581