Re: Speedometer error.....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedometer error.....
From: dcouncil@imt.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:45:37 -0700
>Hi Folks,
>
>  I have a '74 MGB that I recently installed an overdrive transmission ('75
>according to the little blue nameplate on the overdrive unit) in.....
>Mechanically, it was a bolt up slip in deal..... Now I have two problems:
>1) the speedometer reads about 15-20% too slow; and 2) the overdrive doesn't
>work...... I have focused mainly on the overdrive functionality so far with
>no success. The solenoid valve gets power in 3rd and 4th gears and does
>actuate (although I have no idea how much force to expect).... I have not
>(yet) dismantled the oil pump and other then pulling the engine back out
>and dismantling the overdrive I'm out of ideas (except, of course, to
>dismantle the oil pump which I can do 'in car'.....
>
>  Any ideas or personal experience would be welcome at this juncture.....
>
>David Sims
>Schlumberger

I had the same problem when I put in an OD transmission. Fortunately, I had
two different sppedometers - the one in my 71 BGT and an extra from a
previously owned 65 B. One reads about 5-10% too slow, but the one I used
reads 27% too high. At one time, I made ink marks (on scotch tape) to mark
what should be 60 mph (at 74) and 70 mph. Now I just know.

I have heard that I need a certain right angle drive and/or a different
speedometer. Living in rural USA (Wyoming, Utah, and now Montana), I had no
way of really knowing which way to go. I wouldn't mind getting more accuracy
but then I figure its just a Smith's gauge (could it be more accurate than
the fuel gauge?).

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net