Backup light switch needed (and stupid 1st run story)

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Backup light switch needed (and stupid 1st run story)
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 14:23:44 -0600 (CST)

If there is anyone out there in netland with a working backup light
switch for an MGB, I'd like to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

As I'm waiting on this part before I get an inspection sticker, it is
kinda urgent (ohhhh price just got jacked up a buck) :)

The story??????
I've owned it now for 7 months, and finally got it going (for good?)

OK, so I finally get the B running (thanks to John Bartholomew, Jeff
Tucker, Jay Tilton, Malcom Frasier, Marcus Tooze, Denise Thorpe, and
Christopher Reichle for their input....Denise, you were right on the
money... it was the carbs.....the cold start valve o-rings were gone!).
I get the car insured on Tuesday, and go to the courthouse......The guy I
bought the car from signed the titlte in the wrong place...ahhhhhhh...no
problem, I get a tag the next morning.

So now I'm driving it to fill it with gas and take the first "real" ride
in it. (All but one class canceled Wednesday, and it only met for 5
minutes!!!!).......So I stop at the station and fill her with BP's
finest.  As I'm pulling the nozzle from the car, I notice a stream of
fuel running between my feet!!!!  No tools with me (in the back of my
fiance's truck), so I drive QUICKLY to her apt.  When I lean under the
car to see why all of my gas is pouring out, I see the problem......  The
idiot (that would be me) that put the fuel sender back in put the seal on
the wrong side.  Twenty seconds and 7 gallons of gas later I have the
seal on right and the leak stopped........

Now its on to the next problem....

I put a new carb rebuild kit in(fixing the cold start valve problem), and
noticed that the NEEDLE VALVE was not the same as the one that came
out........No problem right, WRONG..  The needle has a spring loaded
end, and the spring on the new one wasn't as stiff as the original.....
(This was of course only seen after tearing  them back apart).....When
adjusted to specs, THE NEEDLE VALVE DID NOT CUT OFF FUEL TO THE FLOAT
BOWL!!!!!  So I had fuel coming out of the evaporation canister (and
leaking into the passenger compartment).  My solution was to put the old
needles and seats in.  The old ones had no visible wear on the needle or
seat, and they have stopped the fuel overflow problem.

Since the car has only been running for a few days now, I am eagerly
awaiting (bull) the next problem.

Eric "3.77 gpa, and can't put in a blasted seal"

Eric L. Van Iderstine - ME senior - Mississippi State University
Design Coordinator - MSU Formula SAE......Powered by Honda......
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB
85 Buick
96 --I DON'T THINK SO!!!