Are MGs really all that tough?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Are MGs really all that tough?
From: WJAD81D@prodigy.com (MR JOHN P ELWOOD)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 20:00:03 EST
   We are living a lie you know.  Our egos have gotten a bit ahead of
the reality.  With Denise now being a priest, and MG mechanics being
reveared by yuppies...  I do believe we've gone a bit overboard.  I
hate to say it to everyone, but any moron can fix an MG.
   Our cars have a terrible reputation for being unreliable.  As
proud as you are in the parking lot saying to the stranger "I just
needed to put in a new alternator and tune the carbs up..etc..etc.."
you've done a terrible diservice to our hobby.  You've convinced
another person with an interest in MGs (he did come up to you, right?
) that they are unreliable junkers and you have to be a terribly
intelligent mechanic to fix one. The lie has gone so far as to the
"honored guest" speaking at my brothers HS commencement last year (a
NJ supreme court judge no less) spent a good part of his speech
talking about how hard it is to fix MG's, how hard it is to find an
MG mechanic (and here comes the inspriational part) and how his MG
mechanic alll those years ago had just moved from Liberia and knew
little English but worked so hard that he mastered MGs. The lie has
to end.  Any monkey can fix an MG.
  Carbs?  Leave them alone.  Set your timing, simple.  Replace your
air filters.  Simple.  If the car isn't already running better, find
out what actually wrong.  Black crap all over the tail pipe?  It's
too rich.  Turn two screws about 1/2 turn and the problem is solved.
Won't idle, or idles too high?  It's another half turn to your
solution.  Your mind is so hooked on the car having serious troubles
that you never bother to do the obvious simple INTENDED thing first.
You don't need a PHD to turn a couple of screws.  Hey, some guy from
Liberis who has never seen a MG before can do it, why not you?

   John  (1972 MGB (see May '94 Hemmings Feature Page), and 1973 MGB-
GT.  Both mine, restored with my own money, and I'm ONLY 17!)