Re: Vacuum

To: Scions of MOWOG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vacuum
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 15:05:29 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Denise Thorpe wrote:

[snip]

> As cars got more sophisticated, all kinds of creature comforts were run off
> of vacuum because it's essentially free power.  The Porsches and Audi's I
> worked on had vacuum operated door locks and heating/AC vent flaps.  Since
> the engine only supplies vacuum while running, these cars had vacuum
> reservoirs (lime green bulb things) that would make something work a few
> times after shutting off the engine...

Vacuum reservoirs are not new. I thought it was pretty neat that my mom's
then-new 1968 Ford LTD Country Squire had a big black vacuum tank up
front so that the headlight doors could open or close 1-3 times after the
engine was off. Fast forward to the early 1980s, when I discovered that
my then [now ex-]brother-in-laws 1950 Ford Prefect had practically the
identical tank; there it was used to help keep the vacuum wipers more
nearly up to speed during heavy throttle applications (which, believe me,
are usually needed in a Ford Prefect).

So, the next time someone tells you that Fords s**k, you can tell them....

Andy "sorry, I couldn't resist that" Mace

  * New York State Library              phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *
  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *