Re: DSP Engine Rebuild - Is this a DIY?

Subject: Re: DSP Engine Rebuild - Is this a DIY?
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 12:59:21 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Jan 1996, Bill Lattimer wrote:

> I've rec'd couple of quotes on a rebuild on my 'B engine, ranging from
> 2500-3500 for a simple rebuild (+ balancing and port match).
>
> Now I've done a lot of Chev small/bigblocks, and I've had the head off
> the MGB,  but I'm admittedly a litle nervous about a rebuild I've never
> done before.  I need to have it done no later than the end of March.
>
> Suggestions/opinons?

A stock engine rebuild is not complicated, especially if you have done
other engines.  Following directions, keeping track of where you are and
where the pieces have gone, and making sure you have a good machine shop
are the important things.  The same as for the Chevy.

Two months isn't unrealistic either.  That's how long mine took, and I
was restricted to one day a week or so in the winter (No garage big
enough for both the engine and the car most of those weeks).

I don't know how much the port matching and balancing add, but if you
have access to a shop which can do them, they shouldn't add too much to
the time.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock