Re: Steering wheel

To: "C. WESLEY GRADY" <wesgrady@mhv.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel
From: kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Milo V. Kral)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 13:40:38 -0600 (CST)
>I saw a posting a day or so ago about switching to a smaller steering wheel to
>gain more leg room.  Got me thinking about the '56 and was wondering if anyone
>had, in fact, installed a smaller than standard steering wheel on an MGA.

On a related subject:
I have a 67B that had an early style steering wheel.  I don't like these wheels
to begin with,  because they are so huge.  Also,  the one I had was cracked in
several places - it looked terrible.
I decided to replace it with a later MGB wheel.  BUT,  the steering shaft
splined hole is different on later cars than early ones.  Here's how I solved
the problem:

1)  cut the hub out of the old wheel.
2)  machine the hub so that you are left with about 1.5" diameter sleeve with
splines in the center.
3)  buy a later model wheel.
4)  machine out a hole in the new wheel slightly smaller than 1.5" (can't
remember how small,  but it can be calculated if you know the thermal
coeefficent of expansion for aluminum:  see #5-7)
5)  place the splined sleeve in liquid nitrogen
6)  after the sleeve reaches -196C,  place it (using tongs and hammer of
course) in the new wheel hub.
7)  make sure it's positioned correctly because as it warms up,  you'll have a
press fit like you wouldn't believe.
8)  for added safety,  drill and tap holes for set screws.

Now it looks and works great.
Milo Kral
Applied and Engineering Sciences
Vanderbilt University