Re: Steering wheel

To: "Milo V. Kral" <kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 15:33:25 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Milo V. Kral wrote:

> 4)  machine out a hole in the new wheel slightly smaller than 1.5" (can't
>remember how small,  but it can be calculated if you know the thermal
>coeefficent of expansion for aluminum:  see #5-7)
> 5)  place the splined sleeve in liquid nitrogen
> 6)  after the sleeve reaches -196C,  place it (using tongs and hammer of
>course) in the new wheel hub.
> 7)  make sure it's positioned correctly because as it warms up,  you'll have
>a press fit like you wouldn't believe.

Well, I'd think you would not want to make the hole more than a
thousandth or so smaller than the sleeve, or you'd have yourself a split
hub when it warms up.

And only an academic would casually suggest using liquid nitrogen in your
mg repair!  It's useful stuff to have in your garage, folks.  Got a stud
that can't be removed from the block?  Turn the block over and stick the
stud in a beaker of liquid nitrogen.  Have a little fire?  Throw liquid
nitrogen on it (make sure you don't get excited and grab the thermos of
liquid oxygen, though).  The possibilities are endless, but I warn you,
don't get the end of your dipstick in the stuff... it will freeze and
fall off.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910