Re: Steering wheel

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 15:17:03 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, W. R. Gibbons wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Milo V. Kral wrote:
>
> > 4)  machine out a hole in the new wheel slightly smaller than 1.5" (can't
>remember how small,  but it can be calculated if you know the thermal
>coeefficent of expansion for aluminum:  see #5-7)
> > 5)  place the splined sleeve in liquid nitrogen
> > 6)  after the sleeve reaches -196C,  place it (using tongs and hammer of
>course) in the new wheel hub.
> > 7)  make sure it's positioned correctly because as it warms up,  you'll
>have a press fit like you wouldn't believe.
>
> Well, I'd think you would not want to make the hole more than a
> thousandth or so smaller than the sleeve, or you'd have yourself a split
> hub when it warms up.

Go to the library and get a machinist handbook.... it will tell you
(based on the diameter of the shaft) what the diametral interference
should be.

The only info I have from this book is for 4.73"-5.52" shafts, and the
diametral interference is 3.6 - 6.0 (in thousandth of an inch)

Eric

Eric L. Van Iderstine - ME senior - Mississippi State University
Design Coordinator - MSU Formula SAE......Powered by Honda......
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB - 85 Buick LaSabre - 95 DiamondBack Sorrento