Re: Rolling sound at freeway speed

To: 007 <jmel@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Rolling sound at freeway speed
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 17:33:47 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, 007 wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, U. Goettsch wrote:
>
> > Does it still make the noise if you press the clutch an just coast at high
> > speed?
> > Ulix
> >

> Yes, it does...   I hope that doesn't mean that the rear end is going bad....

I assume you have checked that there is enough oil in the rear end.
I would then jack up the car to examine the wheel bearing for play.
You could also, with jackstands under the axle, let the car run in gear
so that the wheels are turning and see if you can locate a noise.
If only one wheel turns, you can tweak the handbrake mechanism at the
axle to put brake force only to one wheel to make the other one turn.
I haven't gone any further than that, opening the housing, etc.
Ulix

                      sprite                 caddy