Re: What year is this MGB engine?

To: RatiganJ@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What year is this MGB engine?
From: MGBay@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 01:31:12 -0500
In a message dated 96-02-08 21:51:47 EST, RatiganJ@aol.com writes:

>I purchased a 1958 MGA with a B engine (has the MGA head).  I would like to
>know the year of the B engine. The engine number is 18GB-RU-H-12245.  Does
>anyone know what year this engine would be?  Thanks in advance....
>
>Joe Ratigan

I would say that your B engine is a late '64 production engine.  If I
understand everything I've read it is within the last 6000 engines built in
l964.  Practically speaking it makes sense because it would need the tach
drive housing on the l/h rear side of the engine and smaller diameter input
or first motion shaft bushing in the rear of the crankshaft to be compatible
with the MGA.  It is a three main bearing engine as well.

Regards,

Randy Balogh