Webasco roofs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Webasco roofs
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 10:08:39 -0500
Fellow fiends:

I can't help it: I have another question regarding the perfect all season
B/GT.  Mark Dodd commented on the installation of a Webasco sun roof in his
C/GT.  I have not seen these things advertised.  Are they available as new?
If so, can someone pass on contact and pricing information?  I think its a
great idea and would make the GT more of an open air car.  I'd like to get
the info and add it to my GT wish file.

This bears a bit on the originality discussion.  Putting such a sun roof
onto the GT certainly involves a lot of sheet metal cutting, more than for
speakers in the trunk.  OTOH, the Webasco roof was not *THAT* uncommon a
dealer installed option.  I could be wrong about that but I have that
impression.

It would be different if we were talking Bugatti Royales here, but there
were half a million B's made and they just arent that special.  Few of these
sorts of modifications cannot be "repaired" to as original by the motivated,
and well heeled restorer.  My feeling is that there are still enough Bs out
there to satisfy every bent; from the hard core original condition gurus to
those weirdos out in San Diego that want to put 59 Caddy fins on their
roadster  (sorry, Denise, its the cold weather here that makes me say such
hurtful things---weather envy!).

My personal feeling is the closer to original the better.  However, I once
saw a Jag XK120 that had huge bat-mobile fins put on it; bizarre in the
extreemus, an amazing and delightful thing.  I didn't feel some crime had
been committed.  I'd also never do such a thing, on a B or an XK120.

In a few billion years the sun will super nova and all the remaining MGs
will be atomized.

Will "don't worry, be happy" Zehring