Score!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Score!
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 10:25:22 PST
For those of you who can stand a little gloating,

In anticipation of chrome bumpered B's increasing in value, I've been keeping
my beady eyes peeled and my marginally functioning ears open for '67 B's for
sale.  I found and bought one over the weekend for $800.  It has the usual
dogleg rust and a rusted through floorboard, but the sills are good and it's
never been hit, but it's rusted through over the rear tires.  I almost didn't
buy it because of this, but my boyfriend has been threatening to learn to
weld and he said he'd do all the welding on it if I let him buy into half of
it.  So we bought it as an investment to fix up and sell.  It's got all of its
parts, but it's partly disassembled.  Interestingly enough, it was originally
black.  The entire interior is out of it and all of the parts that were hidden
are black and it sure looks like original paint.  The car had been painted
the early B light blue, which is one of my favorite B colors, but they did a
lousy job and the blue paint is flaking off.  I plan to repaint it the light
blue.  I figure if it was special ordered black, it could have been special
ordered light blue.

I heard about this car at the Big Three Swap Meet that happened over the
weekend.  As I was leaving the swap meet, I passed a guy with MG parts galore.
I'd just been at the SD MG Club booth and people had told me where all the MG
parts were, but they didn't mention this guy so I guess they didn't know about
him.  I got a perfect steel hood, and an aluminum hood that's slightly sprung
at the back, both for $100.  I also got a taller (9 row?) oil cooler with
hoses for $20 and an almost complete '67 GT dash for $50.  The dash has all
the gauges and switches except for the tach and safety gauge.  The guy said he
had the missing gauges, but when he dragged them out, I told him they were the
wrong ones.  When we were loading up the parts, he slipped in the extra gauges
even though he knew I didn't want them.  I know it's a GT dash because it has
the "cigar lighter" just below and to the left of the choke knob.

That's all of my exciting purchases, but I'm still deciding if I want to spend
$500 for a completely refurbished, including new first gear, late OD tranny
for a car that I'm going to sell.  Oh yeah, my boyfriend got a beat up hub cap
for his '50 Chevy truck (that used to be mine) for $3.

Denise Thorpe, broke but happy
thorpe@kegs.saic.com