Re: Timing question

To: Ragthyme@aol.com, jtilton@vt.edu
Subject: Re: Timing question
From: jgn@li.net (John G. Napoli)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 09:57:19 -0500
At 01:33 AM 3/9/96 -0500, Ragthyme@aol.com wrote:
>::chuckle::
> >snip<
>>...The real point is that unless a mechanic has a garage that's consistently
>>full of LBC's, any advice he gives should be treated with a fairly high
>>level of skepticism.
>
>I once had a mechanic, at the time doing nothing more serious than putting
>tyres on my alloy wheels, insist to me in some godawful southern accent that
>all MG's were made by Ford anyway, and just dressed up to look like foreign
>cars. Ford parts were certainly interchangeable with MG parts, asserted he.
> It was all a ploy, you see, to get them to cost more...
>
>I bet he believed in Alien Elvis Babies too.
>
>ckr

Reminds me of the first time I insured my MGB five or six years ago.  The
clerk taking the information was apparently too young to know of such cars:

Clerk:  "What kind of car are you insuring."

Me: "An MG."

Clerk:  "Who makes it?"

Me:  "MG."

Clerk:  "Who?"

Me:  "MG!"

Clerk:  "You mean the make is MG?  Never heard of it!  Are you sure?"

Me:  "Yes."

Clerk:  "MG doesn't stand for anything?"

Me:  "No."

Clerk (hesitatingly):  "What model?"

Me:  "B."

Clerk:  "What model?"

Me:  "B."

Clerk:  "I mean WHAT MODEL, like Camaro or Mustang!"

Me:  "The model is B.  The car is MG.  This makes it an MGB."

Clerk:  "I have NEVER heard of anything like this............."

I did get the appropriate paperwork, so all was well.  This conversation
occurred as presented: if anything I've left out some of her more startling
comments.  This was in the suburbs of a major urban center, too, not exactly
Guam!
Regards,

John